Please do not give your pets alcohol these holidays, or like ever
2024-07-18 06:37:41

Not sure why, but there's always someone out there who thinks it'll be really funny to give an animal a sip of their beer.

Well no surprises, but it's a really dumb idea.

In Australia, veterinarians come across higher rates of alcohol toxicity in animals during the holiday season, either thanks to idiots or because pets accidentally become exposed to small amounts of alcohol laying around.

SEE ALSO:Dog in love with her Santa toy finally got to meet the real thing

Just a week after some jerks fed a native quokka UDL vodka from a can, the Australian Veterinarian Association (AVA) has condemned the all-too-common holiday past time of letting animals try your alcohol

Mashable Top StoriesStay connected with the hottest stories of the day and the latest entertainment news.Sign up for Mashable's Top Stories newsletterBy signing up you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.Thanks for signing up!

"They can also get exposure by drinking or licking up cooking products that contain alcohol, mouthwashes, perfume, cleaning products or by getting into cough syrups ... or other medications," the AVA's Dr David Neck said in an emailed statement.

"Keep cats and dogs in a safe place when entertaining. Glasses left lying around will offer an easy opportunity for a curious pet to get their nose into the glass and have a taste."

Via Giphy

Signs of alcohol poisoning in animals include having trouble walking or standing, lack of coordination, drowsiness, a slow breathing rate, excessive urination, or unresponsiveness.

Dogs and cats exposed to alcohol can have dramatic drops in their blood sugar level, which could also lead to seizures.

So please, don't be silly this silly season. Just let your dog fetch you the beer instead of drinking it.

Via Giphy
Featured Video For You
You won't guess what produce was used to create the snow in 'Home Alone'

(作者:汽车音响)